Oct 10, 2013

FunSchool is Cool


Hey everyone just wanted to share a few little entertaining things we did this week in our homeschool. We had a pretty busy week outside of the house this week with an illness in the family so most of the week we just stuck to the basics reading, writing, and math. But saturday we had a little extra time to spare after our soccer game so we did two fun projects, the first one we have been working on the parts all week and we finally got it put together, and the 2nd was a life cycle activity that I found in our science text.

Lapbook

Since school started we have been working so hard on the addition chapter of our math book so once we got finished and took the test I figured we needed a little math fun so I went looking through all the fun math related freebees I have been collecting forever and found this A Circus of Math Lapbook I downloaded from CurrClick. (I guess I had a coupon for it because now it is 7 bucks.) The file comes as a 61 page download it includes everything that you need to create fun mini books for the 1-9 addition facts as well as 3 math games with directions describing how to put it all together. The only extras you will need are a couple of file folders and paper. I just printed mine of regular copy paper (because that is what I had on hand) but it will probably hold together better with cardstock, the lapbook pieces are all in black and white so it would also be eye catching on neon cardstock.  
 Most of the things I cut out because it was a lot of little pieces and plus I did it at night when the kids were sleeping. There were a few things that I let Olivia cut out and then I let her fill in the answers to the math fact problems and we glued or folded each book together.  I think that each day we did 3 books and then today we sat down and got our file folders out and refolded and glued all of our pieces together. This was a great way to practice the math facts and also we can use it as a fun resource we will be able to utilize when we start memorizing these facts.

 Metamorphosis

This week we learned a little about the life cycle of Insects and found this project in our Science text (see this post for the link to the free science text we use). We used construction paper strips to make a model of the 4 stages of a butterfly life cycle.
eggs


caterpillar                     chrysalis

 
butterfly
Olivia had fun doing this project (but she thought the strips would make better bracelets)
 
Although this week has been a little tiresome I am so blessed to be homeschooling. The school work may not always get done at “normal” school times but we were able to get plenty of learning accomplished.
 
What do you do when life puts a bump in your homeschool day?

-Becca
*****I just love going back and looking at how much fun we have during our school time it puts my mind at ease when I feel like things are not going as planned****

No comments:

Post a Comment