Sep 25, 2013

A short stop in Ancient Egypt

 


As I have shared before I did not buy a History/Geography curriculum for Olivia this year for a few reasons but mainly because I want to mostly focus on the 3 R’s this year, but I do want to introduce her to some things that I think she would be interested in so for the last week and a half we have been studying Ancient Egypt and it has been fun.

I found this Ancient Egypt unit study from RoyalBaloo.com she wrote it for her 2nd grader so there is some things in there that I did not do with Olivia but we picked out the things that we would like. I love that everything is included with this unit study. I do plan on writing unit studies for us for later and this one was a very well thought out plan and a great inspiration. **Thank you Erin at RoyalBaloo for sharing all of your amazing stuff**.

The Ancient Egypt unit study is a free 22 page download that includes 2 mini books and tons of worksheets covering everything from Ancient Egypt Geography and the Nile River to the daily life an Ancient Egyptian kid, and everything in between.

The first week we learned a little about the geography of Egypt and the Nile River and Sahara desert. The download included a worksheet to write the definition of a desert and draw a picture so I used that sheet for some Dictionary practice and showed Olivia how to look up words in the dictionary.

The second week we learned about hieroglyphs and pyramids and even built a pyramid out of rice crispy treats. Olivia really enjoyed that. We still have pharos, and mummies that we have not gone over but by the middle of the second week Olivia was over the whole ancient Egypt study and to tell the truth I was as well so we ended our study there. I still have the extra stuff in our notebook so that one day when we are bored and need something fun to do we can pull this out and learn something new.

I also found this Ancient Egypt printable pack at 3 dinosaurs it included pintables suitable for tots to 1stgrade level. Like with the unit study I went through and picked out things that I though that my kiddos would enjoy. I printed out lots of do-a-dot pages for Edward, a color mini book with scarab beetles and several 2 piece puzzles. For Olivia I printed out a 100 chart color by number and a 10 piece count by two puzzle. I also added the greater than/less than sheet and the addition sheet to her daily calendar notebook.

Besides the do a dot pages Edward was not happy with the Ancient Egypt theme, he would not even color the mini book or play with the puzzles he wanted his dinosaur things that we did the week before. But just like with Olivia, I will put all the stuff we did not do up and pull them out another time and maybe he will enjoy it more.


Along with the pintables that I found online I also went to the library and checked out all the books that I could find on Ancient Egypt and all our read alouds from the last two weeks came from one of those books. Olivia really enjoyed the myths and legends from the book Ancient Egyptian Civilization by Michael Bell and Sarah Quie .

This is not everything that we did it is just what stuck out in my mind and the things that we got picturs of. I can not wait to figure out where our next stop in history will be.

Come back next week and I will show you some of the fun things that I am doing with Edward my 2 year old to keep him occupied while we do school.
-Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment